Agenda & notes for NIIT/SLAC meeting 4/12/2002
- Will need a fast traceroute as one scales to few
hundred hosts (this is a nice stand alone project)
- Goal a new parallel traceroute, send probes (ICMP
or UDP selectable) in parallel to different TTLs, provide many of
standard traceroute features (-q number of probes, -w wait time, -I ICMP
probe, -f first hop TTL, -F don’t fragment …, see the Linux traceroute
man pages for ideas) plus add option to get AS information. Should not
require user to need root.
- Fawad Nazir found suitable tool at
need to install, evaluate and see how to make work for a user without
M.Sufyan Masood has put together a web page at
http://184.108.40.206/maggie/home.htm We all need to provide input as to
what else is needed.
A mailing list has been set up at
subscribers can submit (to reduce spam).
Jerrod has sent information (4/1/04) needed to allow
someone at NIIT to modify plot-lat/long (see
- provide support for different symbols
- and be able to create mouseover maps so could got to
a URL or even just give the site name.
We use this for displaying where PingER nodes are
If more information is needed then ask Jerrod
Analysis presentation of Internet trends
- Possibly provide a Windows Web server with access to
Excel to analyze and create plots of PingER data
- Long term exponential fits, aggregation by region
- Number of hosts with loss qualities
- Tie into web services/SQL access to data to make a
much more flexible, distributed way of selecting analyzing displaying
- Do it with Perl scripts/GnuPlot flat files etc.
Jerrod is writing up information on how to remotely
access PingER long term archived data so it can be used to make long term
Based on experience with installing a PingER
monitoring site develop a package to make installation much easier
Extend PingER gathering to make it hourly so data is
Understand pingtable.pl etc. and extend to support
viewing monthly data older than 2 years
Schedule next meeting
Monday April 26th, 9:00am PDT. Do we need
Maybe look into qiperf but need Web100 (using at NIIT
may be a bit intense with todays NIIT network, also it would be better if
this work was done by NCSC who maintain iperf)
NDT (needs web100, active work is in progress in
Internet2 so doubt this is a good idea at the moment)
- Install an NDT server at NIIT
- Command line interface
- Make client lighter weight
Work on change detection, alerting – this is of
immediate interest, is a tough problem, might be a good idea for a summer
project then carry back to NIIT
- Research, no guarantee of a product
- On detecting a significant change, gather relevant
information, e.g. RTT, traceroute, ping routers along route, get AS of
suspicious points and get contacts. Look to see if can get more
information, e.g. from other monitoring infrastructures such as PlanetLab,
IEPM-BW, PingER which have “nearby” data.
- Add to the detection the gathering of relevant
information for the complete path.
- Filter alerts (hysteresis) before reporting
Student visit (Awaits BS to get started on paperwork)
- We (SLAC) need named individual with a BS to whom we
can issue an invitation so we can get started on getting the visa.
- Focus on one student/project initially
- Student visit will be to learn PingER and IEPM
technologies so can take back to Pakistan